Race two at Imola started in much the same way that first race did. In an exact repeat of race one, Kawasaki’s #66 Tom Sykes charged to the front of the field on his ZX-10R, closely followed by #7 Carlos Checa on his Ducati 1098R with #3 Max Biaggi in close pursuit on his Aprilia RSV4 Factory.
Unlike the first race, though, #3 Max Biaggi did not fall off the pace of the front two and held on tight in 3rd. There was a gap between Biaggi and #91 Leon Haslam who had put a gap between him and the rest of the pack. Haslam was like a man on an island. He was ahead of the rest of the field, but he was not close enough to Biaggi. Then just as things began to settle down, #91 Leon Haslam join the three way party on his BMW S1000RR.
The Kawasaki ZX-10R seems to be quick out the gate, but does not seem to have had the legs to pull away and to stay out front. Max Biaggi caught and passed #7 Carlos Checa, who was also passed by #91 Leon Haslam. This allowed Tom Sykes to gap the hard chargers, but in a few turns later order was restored. Tom Sykes remained at the point, Carlos Checa took second back and Max Biaggi fell back to third.
One lap later Carlos took his Ducati 1098R to the point and Max Biaggi was then passed by Leon Haslam. Like race one, there was not much action other than the brief stint when Max Biaggi took second place. The teams and riders all get a three week break before the next races at Assen. This could be the break that struggling teams need to close the gap to the front. Only time will tell.
World Superbike Race Report Race Two Results
Position | Rider-Number | Rider| Team Motorcycle | Country
- (#7) Carlos Checa - Althea Racing - Ducati 1098R (Spain)
- (#66) Tom Sykes - Kawasaki Racing Team - Kawasaki ZX-10R (England)
- (#91) Leon Haslam - BMW Motorrad Motorsports - BMW S1000RR (England)
- (#3) Max Biaggi - Aprilia Racing Team - Aprilia RSV4 Factory (Italy)
- (#65) Jonathan Rea - Honda World Superbike Team - Honda CBR 1000RR (England)
- (#58) Eugene Laverty - Aprilia Racing Team - Aprilia RSV4 Factory (Ireland)
- (#96) Jakub Smrz - Liberty Racing Team Effenbert - Ducati 1098R (Czech Republic)
- (#2) Leon Camier - Crescent Fixi Suzuki - Suzuki GSX-R 1000 (England)
- (#17) Joan Lascorz - Kawasaki Racing Team - Kawasaki ZX-10R (Spain)
- (#33) Marco Melandri B- MW Motorrad Motorsport - BMW S1000RR (Italy)
- (#50) Sylvain Guintoli - Team Effenbert Liberty Racing - Ducati 1098R (France)
- (#87) Lorenzo Zanetti - Pata Racing Team - Ducati 1098R (Italy)
- (#121) Maxime Berger - Team Effenbert Liberty Racing - Ducati 1098R (France)
- (#19) Chaz Davies Parkin - GOMTC Racing - Aprilia RSV4 Factory (England)
- (#86) Ayrton Badovini - BMW Motorrad Italia Goldbet - BMW S1000RR (Italy)
- (#68) Brett McCormick - Liberty Racing Team Effenbert - Ducati 1098R (Canada)
- (#34) Davide Giugliano - Althea Racing - Ducati 1098R (Italy)
- (#18) Mark Aitchinson - Grillini Progea Superbike Team B- MW S1000RR (Australia)