The final weekend of the 2010 MotoGP season is underway, and the MotoGP riders have just finished up the first day of free practice on the Valencia track. The usual suspects were toward the top of the time sheets all morning, but Marco Simoncelli and Colin Edwards also had a fantastic opening day in Spain.
During the first free practice session, no one was able to match the speed of Ducati man Casey Stoner. Stoner was the only rider to break the 1'33 barrier, and set a time of 1'32.897. Stoner was more than a half a second ahead of 2010 MotoGP champion Jorg Lorenzo and Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso. Marco Simoncelli took the fourth place spot ahead of Valentino Rossi.
In the second free practice session, Jorge Lorenzo turned it up a notch to score the fastest time of the day. Loreno set a 1'32.690 at the end of the second session. Lorenzo is aiming for his 8th pole position of the season, and if he can land on the podium at the end of the weekend, he will have beaten Valentino Rossi's record for most points in a season.
Stoner was able to follow Lorenzo in second place, but he was the only rider who did not improve his time from FP1. Colin Edwards had a great second session, and was able to cross the line in third. He was followed by Marco Simoncelli and Andrea Dovizioso.
MotoGP – Valencia – FP1
- Casey Stoner – Ducati – 1'32.897
- Jorege Lorenzo – Yamaha - +.558
- Andrea Dovizioso – Honda - +.603
- Marco Simoncelli – Honda - + .734
- Valentino Rossi – Yamaha - + .817
MotoGP – Valencia – FP2
- Jorge Lorenzo – Yamaha – 1'32.690
- Casey Stoner – Ducati - + .314
- Colin Edwards – Yamaha - + .776
- Marco Simoncelli – Honda - + .778
- Andrea Dovizioso – Honda - + .780