The 2011 Motocross season just ended a few weeks ago, but MX fans can start looking ahead to 2012. MX Sports Pro Racing announced the 2012 schedule for the Lucas oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship today.
The series will begin on May 19th in Sacramento and will conclude on September 8th in Southern California at a new, yet to be determined, location.
The 12 round series will travel to motocross classics like Hangtown in Sacramento, High Point in Pennsylvania, Redbut in Michigan, and Unadilla in New York.
"We are very fortunate to have so many great, iconic motocross tracks as part of the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship-tracks that challenge the racers and have strong, loyal fan bases that come out to see these races," said MX Sports Pro Racing President Davey Coombs. "This series is the pinnacle of professional motocross, and the growth we've seen in the last three years for both the live audiences and television viewers watching from all over the world has been outstanding."
Ryan Villopoto took both the Supercross and Motocross titles in 2011 and he'll be back to defend his #1 plate in 2012. He'll have his work cut out for him, however, as three former MX champions will be competing in 2012. Villopoto will have to fend off Ryan Dungey, Chad Reed, and James Stewart, who is returning to outdoor racing for the first time since his perfect 2008 season.
Tickets to the 2012 Motocross Championship will go on sale Decembet 5th. If you can't make it to watch any of the MX events, Allisports.com will be broadcasting the races live online.
2012 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship Schedule
- May 19 - Hangtown Motocross Classic - Sacramento, Calif.
- May 26 - Freestone Raceway - Wortham, Texas
- June 2 - Thunder Valley Motocross - Lakewood, Colo.
- June 9 - High Point Raceway - Mt. Morris, Pa.
- June 16 - Budds Creek Motocross - Mechanicsville, Md.
- July 7 - RedBud - Buchanan, Mich.
- July 14 - Spring Creek Motocross - Millville, Minn.
- July 21 - Washougal MX Park - Washougal, Wash.
- August 11 - Moto-X 338 - Southwick, Mass.
- August 18 - Unadilla - New Berlin, N.Y.
- September 1 - Steel City Raceway - Delmont, Pa.
- September 8 - TBA - Southern Calif.