The results are in. The AMA has just surveyed its members to find out where to go when you want to ride a really fantastic motorcycle road.
So where do you go? California has four of the greatest motorcycle roads in America, and Montana and Tennessee tie with three each. According to the survey, there are also fantastic motorcycle roads in Oregon, Ohio, Idaho, Mississippi, Colorado, Virginia, North Carolina and Wyoming.
"When it comes to the best places in the country to ride motorcycles, no group of riders is more knowledgeable than AMA members," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "No group puts in more miles, samples more asphalt or rides more roads.
"By publicizing our favorite roads in American Motorcyclist magazine, AMA members will seek out these destinations and bring tourism dollars into local communities through the purchase of food, fuel, lodging and more."
The AMA asked its 230,000 member community to help identify the greatest motorcycle roads in America. Members were able to nominate new roads, or to vote for existing nominations. The AMA said that nearly 100 roads made the official ballot, and that the "honorable mentions" will be published in the April issue of American Motorcyclist.
"Some of these roads are familiar to motorcyclists, and others may not be," said Managing Editor James Holter. "They all have one thing in common: They're the best roads in the country, as chosen by AMA members."
The 15 Greatest Motorcycle Roads in America
- Beartooth Highway, Montana and Wyoming.
- Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina.
- U.S. Route 129 -- The Tail of the Dragon -- on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.
- U.S. Route 550, from Ouray to Durango, Colo.
- California Route 1, Pacific Coast Highway.
- Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Montana.
- Cherohala Skyway, North Carolina and Tennessee.
- California Route 36.
- U.S. Route 12, Lolo Pass, Idaho and Montana.
- Angeles Crest Highway, California Route 2.
- Natchez Trace, from Natchez, Miss., to Nashville, Tenn.
- U.S. Route 33, Harrisonburg, Va., to Seneca Rocks, W.Va.
- California Route 58, McKittrick to Santa Margarita.
- Ohio Route 170, Calcutta to Poland.
- Washington Route 129 and Oregon Route 3, Clarkston, Wash., to Enterprise, Ore.
So what do you think about the list? I think I just found my Summer schedule.